Kitties! I, as Mom Carole went to Pet Smart and saw some sweeties tonight. I also went to another place, AgriFeed and saw some kitties there too last week. But tonight, we were all at the Pet Smart and oh, my goodness there was a four month old little black house panfer in there whose card said "I have a LOUD purr!!" He was so small..his little face so pointed..a tiny widdle nosey and his little body so sleek and sturdy. WE stood right there as close to the glass as possible. It was late so no one was in attendance specifically as we three gazed adoringly into the place he was. there were other babies there too of course. But this little house panfer rubbed his sweet face on the glass, put his arm out and touched the glass... we were just so charmed and falling in love. However, it's still too soon for me.
It's a boy. And no, I didn't bring his precious self home. I have several questions to ask of you. Yes, he's been neutered BUT: 1. Would he not want to spray in a house so completely my girl's? I mean, she has lived her 14 years and her furs, her markings from her scent glands are everywhere.
2. How would one feed a boy cat to keep those crystals from forming in the urinary tract?
3. Would one allow 100% access to all of the house--- all at once or just a part of it until he or she gets used to their new home. I meant any new kitty in the house I might bring home.
Any and all advice welcome.
49 comments:
Oh dear, sounds like love at first sight! I wish I had answers for you but never having owned a kitty I don't have a clue.
Admiral will help you pick one out when the time comes. xoxo
I am sure you will find out everything you need to know when the time is right. I agree with Sherry.
xoxo
Well, we haven't had any trubbles wif Princeton. We had Prancer and the two sisfurs for years before he came. I think it would be just fine. It really helps when they are neutered. I would probably just give him a few rooms like the main area and kitchen at first, though. I do that with any new kittehz. As far as the crystals my first cat that was female had the worst efur. Just good food and plenty of water. We will say a purrayer to help you wif your decishun. **headbutts*
Pee Ess - ask Katnip Lounge. they haf LOTS of experience.
I don't think you would have any problems with spraying if you got a male, esp if he was young and was neutered before he was sexually mature. If you get a teeny tiny tot, you might just do one room at a time so you can FIND the wee mite! a four-month-old I think you would be good to have the run of the house over the course of a weekend.
And just a thought, since you're not home all the time, two are nice to have...if you can afford it.
Start out with canned food and stick to it, that's the key to minimizing a TON of health issues.
I'm so happy you are thinking ahead to the day you might want another kitty!
xx Trish
It wasn't a week after my beloved Max died that we were out looking at other kitties needing homes - that's how we found Willow and Nahum! The void in my heart was too big to not have any kitties in my life. So thankful now to have all my kitties.
Not sure I have answers to your questions, but if the new cat was fixed early in it's life spraying shouldn't be an issue. I would think the new cat would realize that the scent of your girl was not fresh and thus not feel threatened. As for the boy cat and the crystals - get him to always drink lots of water I think is the trick.
As for house access, I think it works best to introduce them to one room at a time. Let the new cat get used to the one room before giving them access to the next room. Although every cat is different. My Theo was so bold and curious, he wanted to explore the whole house from the start and did fine doing so.
Pee Ess Ess - so funny KL commented just a minute after me. Cathy Keisha did a product review on a deodorizer that she really liked. You might want to follow that up. Good luck!
Ooooh he sownds adorabulz! Duzn't nootering ushally stop spraying from happenings? Mai brofurs duzn't spray an neethur did owr 2 cuzin kittehs wat stayed here this summer an they iz boycats. Iz sure you will no if this kitteh iz your speshal kitteh an if he iz there won't be spraying. *purrr*
The Cat Who Came Before Me was female and her smell was all over the house, but I was just 4 months old and didn't care; I think it's older boy kitties who spray like that. And I've never had crystals, neither has Buddah. We eat Fancy Feast and Purina Naturals dry food...probably not the absolute bet but it's tasty and we're healthy.
Ya know, if that little black kitty snagged your heart it might be a sign!
To answer your questions no he would not spray in your house. As long as they get fixed before they are 6months old. I've had 5 indoor boys over the last 10 years and none of them sprayed. Also I do not have my boys on a special diet as they do not have this problem with the urinary tract. Not all boys have that. All my boys over the years have never any problems with their urinary tract..thank you God!
And introducing a kitten into your home is so easy. Most full grown cats will accept a kitten where as they might not accept a full grown cat. I think its great that you are gonna honor Admiral Hestorb by saving another sweet kitty that needs a home.
We love you and appreciate your friendship so much!
Have a Happy New Year!
Dear Carole,
First of all - I'm going to go out on a limb and say congratulations. Because I just bet that before the week is out, you are going to be embarking on a new journey with this sweet little house panther. And I bet no one would be happier about that than Admiral.
Anyway - as to the spraying, I seriously doubt that you'll have any issues with that. I mean, I don't have a crystal ball but being as this little guy has been neutered already and is only four months old, I just don't see it being an issue.
As to the urinary crystals, as Katnip Lounge said, start the kitten out on grain free canned food or a raw diet and you are almost sure to not only not have urinary issues but will automatically reduce the likelihood of other medical problems. It's amazing how many of the illnesses we think of as commonplace in cats are really caused by a diet that is not appropriate to an obligate carnivore. Also, I'm currently living with two boy kitties, as you know, and not only have neither of them never sprayed, they've also never had an issue with urinary crystals or blockages. (They've also been fed only grain free canned food or a raw diet.)
Good luck in whatever you decide - if it isn't this kitten I hope that it will be another kitten or cat sooner than later. Everyone's timetable is different, but one thing I know is that cat people need cats, and there are a lot of cats out there who need those people.
Keep us posted, ok?
The little guy sounds very cute! Your heart will tell you when the time and the kitty is right! As for the questions, we're all girls here so we can't answer the boy questions but we did stay in one room before we had the run of the house just so we could be 100% sure where the litter box was. After we figured that out we got to go anywhere we want to!
That little panfer boy sounds so precious! I think as others have said the clue to minimizing the likelihood of urinary problems is a wet food diet. (we actually even add water to Audrey's food since she will eat it that way and has had a couple of UTI's (having been fed dry a lot before with Mommy #1).
Of all the cats we have had, the only one who sprayed at all was our female Abyssinian, because we didn't have her spayed till after she had matured and had kittens.
We'll purr for you deciding on who and when. But that little black fella sounds so sweet.
Efurryone else has said all the important stuff.
May I just say: HOUSE PANFUR? Well, YEAH! Triple, quadruple, quintuple YEAH!
XOXOXOXOXO
Everyone seems to have said the right things - get him neutered before he is sexually mature but not too soon as this can cause kidney development problems if they are neuterd too young. Canned grain free food will help keep crystals from forming - dry food with grain is the problem. I always keep the new one in a room to themselves until they are more acclimated to the house and you. A new situation is always a bit overwhelming for the little ones. I do hope you can adopt two - they can play with each other when you are not home. Ans you will be helping two cats in need of a home. This is a great sign Carole - when you are ready you will do it!
Cats of wildcat woods
Adopt That Kitten! NOW!
!, It is time to learn the mysteries of a male cat.
2. Loud purrs are great.
3. Watching a male cat stretch is seeing all the muscles ripple.
4. Marley has never sprayed in the house.
5. If he does at first, use felliway plug ins.
6. Good food like Halo Spot's Stew, Soulistic Chicken, and Evo 95% will be his best protection from UTIs.
7. A week in a room, with supervised visits out are recommended. But Ayla, Iza, and Marley each only needed 3 days. I think that is because I shared furs all around. With each new kitty, I carried them around a bit more days 2 and 3.
8. THAT kitty is meant for you. Go get it NOW!
9. Yes it is a male cat. Do you want to freeze in place, or experience something new?
10. You can't replicate The Admiral. Don't try. Get that kitty tomorrow before someone else does. Be standing at the door before they open.
1. I had Cosmo neutered before he started to spray so he never developed that habit. The other 2 males, Felix and Boomer also do not spray when they venture into the part of the house marked by Cosmo and Ling.
2. Best would be to feed him a non-kibble diet. Canned, some home cooked and some raw (if he eats)
3. I would keep the new kitten confined in an area where it's litter box and feeding area is until it gets the idea then allow him out under close supervision but back in the confined area when you are not around until you are confident he's ready
Let your heart guide you in this. If he's the one, you'll know. :) Angel Admiral would approve.
Oh, P.S. Spray? How ungentlemanly! I have NEVER done such a thing.
We know sweet Carole that your heart will tell you when the time is right and you will feel a nudge from sweet Admiral when you have seen the right kitty. That little fellow sounds adorable and seems he was trying to tell you something. Just follow your heart. Praying for you and wishing you all the best. I haven't had boy cats in several years but we never had a problem with spraying with any we did have when they were neutered young. Hugs!
Everyone has pretty much covered everything already. But for what its worth, if you feed a good quality food and crystals are not likely, although you DO have to keep a little better eye on the litter box with a boycat due to plumbing differences.
Just see how things go as far as how much letting the kitteh explore. You might want to limit him to a single room at night for a while, if only so you can find him in the morning. :-)
Purrrrrrring that this panther is still there when you go to get him.
I think everyone has already given you excellent answers to your questions, especially about spraying, and how a good, grain-free canned diet can go a long way toward preventing urine crystals. As for what a new kitty should be allowed to explore, they are all different! My human pretty much carried me from room to room with her when I came home and never left me unsupervised for a long time. Binga, on the other hand, was a mere 10 weeks when she came home (maybe less), and she just immediately made herself at home EVERYWHERE in the house! Boodie was semi-feral and had to be isolated in one room for a week - the only living being she saw was my human! You will know what to do when you bring home a kitty - some are timid, some are brave - and that determines how much space you can introduce him to in the beginning.
Two definitely is better than one. :-)
I wouldn't worry about spraying...None of mine have, though Nicki gets excited and backs up against the stove, tail up and quivering. Nothing every has come out, though, knock on wood. I think it's rare for a young, neutered male to spray...and females will spray sometimes too, so there you go.
As for feeding, Carole, the best way is to go canned, grain-free. You can check out the info written by a vet on www.catinfo.org for her take, based on her own experience with her cats, her own research.
You'll know when it's the right time to adopt again, of course!
Oh, btw, when Chumley came home (mind you, he was an adult), he had the run of the house from the get-go. So did Annie, right away. What did I know? LOL.
Nicki spent a couple of nights in a guest room, but made such a fuss at being alone I gave up and let him out. But he was 6 months old at the time. Ditto for Derry. Derry spent his first night locked up in a room, with Nicki, btw, then that was it.
Oh Carole, I must admit my heart skipped a beat reading this... I think everyone is waiting for you to find that special kitty that Admiral has sent you.
Everyone has already sent such good advice. So all I will say re introducing it to your home is - depends on the kitten! Mr Darcy was happy to roam from the get go, whereas Sookie hid in the tiniest corner of one room and didn't move for a day and a half. Then there was no stopping her!
Good luck in whatever you decide xoxo
Over the years, I have had five boys and two girls and not a single boy has ever sprayed a single drop anywhere. As a whole, they actually tend to be more affectionate than the girls, if that is possible!
As for food, I do believe that quality is everything!
In terms of access, the important thing would be for him to have a safe place to run to in the first little while if he is overwhelmed by the new surroundings. But the fact that there are no other cats there now should make it easier.
This is VERY exciting!!! We're all sure that Admiral is purring at the Bridge!
#1 aka Virginia
Harley was 6 months old when we adopted him from the shelter and he has never, ever sprayed. I have a history of bladder stones, and our holistic vet said the best thing to do for bladder health is feed a wet food diet (a high quality grain free canned diet, or raw), no dry food at all. Good luck, it sounds like the little house panther has captured your heart!
How very wonderful! Hey, I've never sprayed anywhere. There are plenty of Admiral smells for him to get used to in one room at a time so that should be a problem. I think access to the whole house is great...we all don't like closed doors at all ya know! Happy dancing going on here!
I have no answers for you Hon. I feel the Admiral would want you to have someone to love and snuggle with.
I think you are getting some excellent advice. Neutering is the key and feeding the appropriate food. I still don't have all of the doors open in my house. I let Truffle and Brulee explore a new room every couple of weeks until they are older.
You will know when the time is right; but once you've had a furchild love you, that need to experience that love again never goes away. Admiral will always be with you, as Sweet Praline is with me.
Mom Paula
Carole I think you have already had all the advice and very sound it is too!
Mancats are great. I did not have Austin from a young kitten, so he was already neutered and he has never sprayed in the house. His pal Tigger has never sprayed in the house. the last mancat I had, Harry, I had from a kitten and he never sprayed. Re crystals, you can never tell who will and who won't get it, if you feed both soft and hard food, it will be a varied enough diet.
It is always best to introduce a cat gradually to a new environment so it doesn't get overwhelmed!
Well I didn't need to say all that, but wanted to be part of the story :))) I do hope your kitty reveals him/herself to you soon. I know you will be absolutely sure when it happens, if it hasn't already!!! :))) xox
Mum has had male and female cats and has never had a problem with spraying even when she brought home a male cat two days after the old male cat died. Admiral will be on paw to guide you but we think she would love for you to get two kittens/cats as they are company for each other when you are working.
Luv Hannah and Lucy xx xx
Uh oh--kitten siren! Sounds like you've had all of the advice. Kittens are very active and two will keep each other entertained. (Ask Mom Paula!) If you can afford the expense of two cats, I recommend it. When the heart strings tug it's time...
My dearest, it sounds like that little guy really touched your heart. When you are finally ready to bring another kitty into your life, I know you'll make the right decision. Let Bianca guide you :-).
awwwww - only you will know when the time is right, but we KNOW the Admiral would want you to keep your heart open for another kitty.
As for spraying, we are mostly boys (except for the evil princess) and mom says she has never had a problem with us spraying.
Crystals: again, only had that problem once. We eat dry food, but we have heard that canned can help with this. Mom keeps 2 big ceramic dishes for us with fresh water.
Access: mom says it depends on the space of the house, but she would start small and then expand to the whole house slowly. It really depends on the cat - some adjust pretty quickly (especially those teenage kitten monsters).
Good luck.....
Sounds like such a cutie. Wouldn't be surprised if he's moving in soon. But things will move in your time frame.
Oh it is exciting! We may see your new baby maybe next year? But we understand you are not ready yet.
Since he is neutered, I think he will not spray...of course no guarantee, but hopefully. To avoid crystal, it is better to stick to canned-food diet. And it is good to keep him in a small room at first and gradually let him explorer other rooms.
He sure will make you happy when he comes to your house:-)
Mom Carole
We think everyone has given you great advice, esp about the food. Wet, grain free. As far as a being male, I don't think you would see any reaction to that at all. Especially a young kitty. You would probably start him off in a small room and I bet in no time he would have the entire run of the house.
We hope you have found some more furry love to fill your house with.
purrs
>^,,^<
♥Abby♥Boo♥Ping♥Jinx♥Grace♥
Dear Carole,
The Cat who came before ME was male. He had a lot of problems with UTIs. At the time, it was thought magnesium would cause this, but I would follow the other's advice. And your v-e-t can give you excellent advice.
And maybe it is time for a little black one....just because he is so different than The Admiral. Maybe she pointed you to him and told him to act extra cute while you were there.......PM
Love at first sight then maybe your darling girl sent him to you... Hugs GJ xx
Wowwie! That happened with mommy and Daddy and Kozmo! HOL had passed away about 3 weeks previous and they was in the PetSmart buying food and he reached out and touched their hearts. He was there when they came back and they broughts him home. He is totally different from Me and from Hissy Old Licorice. He too was spayed young and he has no crystals and does not spray - even though the house was full of male cat smell. He eats half wet and half dry foods.
Me sometimes wishes he could go back, but others, me likes him.
Kisses sweet Carole
Nellie
Mom Carole,
Not much to add here. The two we just got are both males and now I'm wondering if I shouldn't switch 5 of my cats to wet food (Miss Jengs refuses wet foods) to avoid all this bladder/pee issues. I wish you well in your travels certainly and I just know when you get back you will be posting photos of your newest addition(s) heehee!
xoxo
Ms. Stella's Woman
Such wonderful advice from such fine friends!! The CB is pawsome :)
Mom got Mickey at 10 weeks and gave him some wet food.The male cat before had crystals.
She need not have worried,Mickey loved to drink water :)
Mom has a BIG soft spot for panthers ;)
WE purr you get a companion... :)
maybe very soon...
Purrs Tillie and Georgia,
Tiger,Treasure and JJ
Oh we are so excited to hear this! We love house panthers!! We'll let our mom answer your questions, mom Carole.
Carole, more than likely, as long as he has been neutered at an early age, he shouldn't spray. As far as preventing urinary problems, stick to canned food. More moisture, the better. I feed mine mostly canned with some dry as a snack. As far as giving him 100% access immediately, I'd probably keep him confined to one room, like a bedroom, initially just to see how he does. Every cat is different so he might be fine in the whole house from the get-go.
Carole, I find boycats much friendlier than girlcats. Not that I don't like girlcats, I do, but that's just what I have determined myself.
Whatever you decide to do, though, you know we're all here for you!
Island Cats' mom Sue
In answer to your questions, what everybody else said.
Now that Christmas is over, house decorated (and will stay that way til Ground Hog Day!) and cards all sent finally...I will have time to visit our favorite bloggies again!
Good to hear that kitties are catching your eye, and that you will get some traveling out of the way first...
In my 39 years (OMC!) years of experience as a vet tech and 22 years experience as a breeder with unspayed girls and unneutered boys...I have varied experiences with spraying. My first sprayer was neutered at the typical 8 months (usual age about 20 years ago). But he didn't start spraying until after I stopped showing him and was due probably to not getting as much one-on-one attention as he did when it was just he and I away for a weekend. Disco didn't start spraying until after my husband died...similar less attention thing I think. Usually, in a stable household with not much change, boys (and girls) will behave.
One thing you will want to do right from the start is have the carrier be a fun thing, leave it out all the time so it's part of the house, he/she can eat/sleep and play in it. Then you shouldn't have the hide under the bed thing when they hear the door rattle etc.
Also, it is good to get them used to car rides, short trips, getting them socialized to different situations and people early.
There are lots of good websites that talk about how to introduce a new cat/kitten and as everyone said, it will be easier as you don't have a resident cat now. The scents should not bother a kitten, adults may take a little longer to acclimate.
I will send you the two 'handouts' I gave to people adopted kittens from me and I think you will find them helpful and informative...maybe I should do a blog post about that?!
ok NOW I found this post!!!
I have had nothing but boy kitties and my Bobo I had for 18 years.
He never had urinary crystals and I fed him wet and dry food. My vets always told me to avoid TURKEY with male cats, that turkey is bad for their urinary tract.
Bobo did have 6 kidney stones at one point but I think that was just genetics, not sure.
I could be wrong but wouldn't a male cat be more likely to spray after smelling ANOTHER MALE CAT? It's a territorial thing so I think the female scent wouldn't cause that reaction, I could be wrong though.
As I said I only had male kitties and I ADORE THE BOYS!
I'm learning here too about the different foods. I let Kassey have the whole place, small apartment though. When the time comes, you'll make the right decision. Sweet Admiral would approve of any furbaby that selects you.
I have 3 male cats and 3 females and none of them have ever sprayed.
It doesn't sound good.
Since the three boys were born in my house, I had them neutered very early.
There was the incident with synchronized peeing on the way home from the vet that one time, but other than that, they are true gentlemen.
And about a new cat or cats, you'll know when the time is right. You won't even need to ask.
Love & Purrs,
Mom ML & KC & Kitties
Hi there.
I too have been thinking about bringing home a new furball. Truly I can't remember ever a time when I actually "PICKED OUT" my "Own" Kitty- usually they show up.
But I have consulted with Miss KC, who is currently the owner of the house. I am thinking it would be nice to have an addition by this spring. KC is now 12, and is as active as ever. I am thinking she would eventually like a new sister cat, so she can move back to her Daddy's lap.
Keep us posted ms Carole.
Hugs,
Terri
Woooos,
Post a Comment